Please read the Rules and Eligibility sections carefully before entering the competition. Entry implies acceptance of all the rules and failure to comply may result in disqualification.
IMPORTANT: All entries are judged anonymously. Please do not include your name, address, phone number, email, website, twitter handle etc on the document or in the file name or it will be disqualified.
- Entries can be on any subject in any style or form.
- Please check you are submitting the correct version of your work before uploading as mistakes cannot be rectified later.
- If you find you have submitted the wrong version or have made a mistake in the work, you can withdraw it and resubmit a corrected version. Please note a further fee would be payable.
- Entries can be withdrawn by logging into your Submittable account. To see how to withdraw, please click here. Entry fees will not be refunded.
We disqualify entries if they are named, over the word limit or have no synopsis. If you forget to add the title or word count your entry will NOT be disqualified.
8,000 words max, 5,000 minimum taken from the opening chapter/s and a 300 word synopsis, which should form the first page/s of your entry. (Please note, the 300 word limit for the Synopsis is in addition to the 5 – 8,000 words.)
£24 per novel. There is no limit to the number of novel submissions.
Submissions & Synopsis
The first page/s of your entry must be a synopsis of 300 words maximum. Begin with a brief summary paragraph, followed by the rest of the synopsis. The 300 word limit is for the entire synopsis. How To Write A Synopsis
Entries must be submitted online or by post. No email submissions.
Procedure for Long and Shortlisting
- Long listed entrants will be asked to submit 15,000 words for the next stage of the judging process. Entrants unable to comply will be disqualified.
- Shortlisted entrants will be asked to submit 30,000 words for the final stage of the judging process. Entrants unable to comply will be disqualified.
Entries must be typed in Arial 12 pt font, double-spaced with numbered pages and the novel’s title on every page. Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) or PDF file with the novel title as the file name. Please do not include your name in the file name as this will lead to disqualification. Max 2MB file. Include the word count for the synopsis and submission on the top right first page.
- Entries must be in English
- Do not add cover or title pages
- Do not send illustrated work
- No handwritten submissions
Postal entry forms can be downloaded from the website. Please send one copy of your manuscript and a completed form. Amendments or substitutions cannot be made after submission. If you wish to correct errors, you must submit a new entry marked FINAL VERSION on the first page, enter again and pay the fee. No correspondence about amendments will be entered into. Entries cannot be returned. Please keep a copy. If you want to know your entry has arrived safely, please include a stamped self-addressed postcard with ACKNOWLEDGEMENT in the top left hand corner.
It is not possible to confirm receipt of entries by phone or email.
The judges’ decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries. The Bridport Prize reserves the right to change the judge without notice.
Worldwide copyright remains with the author but the Bridport Prize has the unrestricted right to publish extracts from the twenty long listed novels in our anthology and any relevant promotional material.
The Bridport Prize reserves the right to amend these rules where it deems necessary. Any changes to the rules will be posted on our website.
Results & Awards
A prize-giving event will be held at Bridport Arts Centre, Dorset for the winner, runner-up and three Highly Commended winners on Saturday 19th October 2024.
Full results and the Judges’ Report will be published on the website from 10am that day.
The Bridport Prize expects to be recognised in any published novels associated with us.
Any entrant found to be in contravention of the terms and conditions will be disqualified.
If you have a query about eligibility, please contact [email protected]